Saturday, January 24, 2009

कभी कभी मेरे दिल में ...

There is a very valuable translation, and summary, of this song on the web and most of what is presented here is based on that: http://indiansongtranslations.blogspot.com/2008/07/english-translation-of-kabhi-kabhi-mere.html.






कभी कभी मेरे दिल में, ख़याल आता है ||2||
Sometimes, in my heart, a feeling emerges
के जैसे तुझको बनाया गया है मेरे लिए ||2||
That it's like you have been created just for me
तू अब से पहले सितारों में बस रहीं थी कहीं ||2||
Until now, you dwelled among the stars somewhere
तुझे ज़मीन पे बुलाया गया है मेरे लिए ||2||
[And now,] you have been called down to the earth just for me

कभी कभी मेरे दिल में, ख़याल आता है

के यह बदन, ये निगाहें, मेरी अमानत हैं ||2||
That this body, these eyes, are mine to treasure
ये गेसुओं की घनी छाओं हैं मेरी खातिर
As if the shade beneath these tresses is meant for me
यह होंट और ये बाहें मेरी अमानत हैं ||2||
And these lips and these arms are mine to treasure

कभी कभी मेरे दिल में, ख़याल आता है

के जैसे बजती हैं शेहनाईयाँ सि राहों मैं ||2||
That it's like wedding instruments are trumpeting around us
सुहाग रात हैं घूंघट उठा रहां हूँ मैं ||2||
[As if] it's our wedding night and I'm raising your veil
सिमट रहीं हैं तू शर्मा के अपनी बाहों मैं ||2||
And you are shyly surrendering yourself in my embrace

कभी कभी मेरे दिल में, ख़याल आता है

के जैसे तू मुझे चाहेंगी उम्र भर यूंही
That it's like you will love me forever like this
उठेगी मेरी तरफ़ प्यार की नज़र यूंही
That in my direction, this loving gaze will always look up like this,
मैं जानता हूँ के तू गैर हैं, मगर यूंही ||2||
I know that you belong to someone else, but still, just like this.

कभी कभी मेरे दिल में, ख़याल आता है

No comments: